When a man becomes a fireman his greatest act of bravery has been accomplished. What he does after that is all in the line of work.
~Edward F. Croker
In 1922, a bell alarm system was installed at Clymer phone company with a set of bells in each member’s home. A telephone operator rang the bells six times for a fire, twice for a meeting, and one test ring daily at 6:30PM.
In 1923, a motor drawn chemical unit was purchased.
In 1924, a new fire barn was built with two truck stalls at the same location as the current fire hall.
The truck was equipped with a 400 cubic inch twin-six cylinder engine, overhauled by Jess Meerdink, and a 500 GPM Hale rotary pump. John Fiet painted the truck for $38.70. The Packard was the pride of the town as many residents stopped in weekly to watch the progress of it.
In 1927, the first French Creek contract was signed promising $25 for the 1st hour of service and then $10 for every hour after.
In 1943, a military surplus siren from World War II was installed in the Fire Barn, and then later a siren was also installed at Clymer Bag Co to alert members around Clymer pond.
In 1948, a Chevrolet 500 GPM pmp with a 300 gallon tank (later replaced with a 500 gallon tank) was purchased along with two 50 ft booster reels.
In 1956, a new hall was built in 1956 at the same location (after much controversy). A 1956 Ford was purchased with a 500 GPM pump and a 1000 gallon tank. The chassis cost $3,535 and the truck was later sold for $2,650 in 1986.
In 1958, fire phones were set up by the Clymer Telephone Co. Sixteen firefighters regular home phones doubles as fire alert phones (plus one at fire hall). Residents called EL5-2211 until 1964 when all numbers were used 355-2211 for a fire and all 16 phones would ring steady for two minutes or until answered. All 16 could hear and talk to the caller.
The first person to answer said “Clymer Fire Dept” and asked about the nature of the call while everyone else listened. Six had red buttons mounted on their phones that would activate the siren. You needed a private line to have a button.
During this time the first Ambulance was purchased (a Chevy Suburban). It was later converted to Chief/Equipment truck when replaced by a used 1966 Cadillac Ambulance and eventually traded to the Highway Dept in 1981.
The 1966 Cadillac Ambulance was later sold in 1976 and replaced by a new Dodge Ambulance purchased for $16,725.
In 1979, some members received pagers, first person to the hall broadcast the calls.
In 1991, calls were forwarded to Mayville dispatch.
In 1994, 911 replaced the local fire and EMS numbers.